WARNING: Major vent below so if you're not interested in anymore of our crazy build dramas, I wont take offence if you stop reading now! lol!
We started the day meeting the tiler at 7am, he started marking out and all seemed well so we left for work. We got almost all the way to work to get a call from the tiler to say he had opened 9 boxes and about 3 worth of tiles could be used, they had marks, pits, dents and were basically second quality!! ARGH, FREAK, SCREAM, MAD, CRY, WHAT DO I DO, WHERE AM I GOING TO GET MORE MONEY FOR NEW TILES FROM?!
So I dropped Dec at work and headed back out there to deal with it. The tiler had put some down on the floor (not glued of course) so i could see them. Initially I thought they were OK but on second look there was no way I'd be able to live with them due to the white dints/dots on them so they couldn't go down! The tiler left to go to another job and I started having multiple phone conversations with the supplier to try get the mess sorted!
The tiles are meant to be the same as our wet area floors, 450x450 in a grey colour. Thank god the tile company was amazing and said although we had been sold seconds and not told that they would take them back, credit us and they would help us sort it all out. Problem was to get the same tiles in first quality would take at least 2 weeks to arrive and about $1500 extra which is how much more they would have cost if we'd bought firsts in the beginning! This wasn't an option, we cant wait that much longer and the money was the deciding factor on that one! That meant I had to dash over to the tile shop and PICK BRAND NEW TILES! STRESSFUL! I had my heart set on those tiles so I'm really disappointed about this drama. :-(
Because we had so little to spend (basically just the credit and whatever else I could afford to add) there wasn't much to choose from. After hours agonizing and making phone calls to everyone for second opinions i eventually chose some that were 400x400 in a slightly lighter colour and completely plain (the others had a mottle kinda thing through them). I hope i made the right choice, the guy did them for me for NO extra $ and he'll have them on site tomorrow when the old ones are picked up. The tiler can be back Wednesday to start laying again but has to stop in the middle to do another job so it probably wont all be finished till late next week now. Oh well, its as best a result as i could do with the $ I had and the pressure i was under. I really hope I don't regret this decision forever...
In the middle of all this stressing, driving, waiting and more stressing today I had a billion phone calls and got some other things sorted:
- All the blinds are being installed tomorrow morning! YAY!
- The concretor is doing the back and front door on Wednesday morning so we'll get to see him when we meet the tiler AGAIN at 7am on Wednesday.
- I had a conversation with the guy from Delfin and got a fairly good result about our fibre optic. It should all be sorted in the next few weeks but if it isn't they give us a free internet dongle, $80 a month off our mobile bill and a temporary internal antenna so we have phone, internet and TV when we do eventually move in.
- Oh and I had to rush back out to the house by 3pm to get our beautiful mirror splash back installed, it looks fab!
Ahhh, what dramas will tomorrow bring? I seriously cant even plan the next 5 minutes let along the next 5 days at the moment, everything just keeps changing!
What have I done to deserve all this bad luck?!
Anyway, here a few pics:
The original ones on the left (note slightly darker and slightly mottled kinda), the new one on the right, slightly smaller and slightly lighter.
In this pic (in the house) you cant really tell the colour variation (thank god), just a bit smaller. They will only butt up against the others at the WC, laundry & bathroom.
Walk-through pantry
Main kitchen (the oven is slightly pulled out at the moment)
2 of the drawers are currently out in this pic
Until tomorrow, I'm off to have another alcoholic drink after my day from hell!
So sorry!!!!! Today is a new day - and you seemed to cope well with the trials of yesterday - hang in there it will be worth it!
ReplyDeleteOh dear!!!! I don't know what I would do if I had to choose different tiles!! I feel for you!! At least you found other ones that are similar...and they look very nice too! Both tiles will blend beautifully so don't worry about it...everything happens for a reason!
ReplyDeleteThat is one impressive kitchen!
ReplyDelete